Spoil yourself and your quarantine buddy with some gluten-free and vegan french toast slices for brunch.
The cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup and caramelised bananas will make your home smell like a fancy bakery – and who wouldn’t want that on a Sunday morning?
Gluten Free Vegan French Toast w/ Caramelised Bananas
- 6 slices of gluten-free bread
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium-sized bananas
- Additional maple syrup to top
- Toppings of your choice
- Oil to season the pan
- In a shallow bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds (I grind mine using a coffee grinder), plant-based milk, salt, 1 tbsp of the maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir again.
- Cut the bananas lengthwise and grill them in a non-stick pan with 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, until both sides are caramelised.
- Quickly dip each slice of gluten-free bread in the liquid mixture from point 1, ensuring that both sides are covered but the bread is not soggy. If you are using regular bread, this isn’t an issue.
- Season a non-stick skillet with a little bit of oil and heat it on medium heat. Fry each slice until it turns golden brown on each side. Repeat until all 6 slices are cooked.
- Plate your French toast slices and top them with the caramelised bananas, maple syrup and any other fresh fruit of your choice.