Mushrooms on toast is probably the most Luxembourgish recipe that I’ve ever posted – and while the traditional version is served with a cream sauce, my version is much lighter and throughly spiced.
Pan frying mushrooms brings out their umami flavour in the best way possible, and provides a nice textural element to their otherwise squishy texture, which some people love and others hate.
Serve it over some nice rustic bread, or if you’re gluten intolerant like me, some gluten-free bread and some vegan cream cheese.
Delicious simplicity at it’s finest!
Spiced Mushrooms on Toast
- 400g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 2 drops liquid smoke (or 1/2 tsp soy sauce)
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread
- Vegan cream cheese (optional)
- Wash the mushrooms well and slice them into roughly 3mm thick slices.
- Add the vegan butter to a pan and let it melt on medium heat.
- Add in the garlic granules, bay leaves, sage, liquid smoke, black pepper and salt and mix well, being careful not to break up the mushroom pieces.
- Pan fry, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and start to brown.
- Toast the bread and top it with cream cheese (optional) and the spiced mushrooms.