These vegan cheesy Korean rice cakes are chewy, cheesy, and SO satisfying to eat!
Both the refrigerated or the dry kind work well for this recipe, just make sure to soak the latter for several hours beforehand, to ensure that they cook fully.
You can find them at most Asian markets (if you’re not lucky enough to live in South Korea of course).
These go well with a side of baked tofu and a salad, but they also taste amazing on their own. Plus, they’re a nice alternative to the usual (equally delicious!) spicy rice cake recipes.
What’s your favourite way to eat tteokbokki?
Cheesy Korean Rice Cakes
- 500g tteokbokki (Korean Rice Cakes)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Wash and rinse the rice cakes if you are usin the refrigerated variety. If you are using the dry kind, soak them overnight and rinse before cooking.
- Add the rice cakes to a shallow pan together with the soy milk, vegan cheese, onion powder, black pepper, nutritional yeast flakes and salt, and cook until they’re tender and the sauce has thickened. Make sure to stir regularly so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once fully cooked, serve the tteokbokki with chopped chives and chilli flakes.